10/13/15

"Work" a Familiar Theme





Here's an answer to a very good ? from a writer in the "Work" -themed WP Writing Contest. It discusses Theme and Motivation.

The THEME AND DESCRIPTION for this year:

The theme for Write of Passage 2015 and 168 Film Project 2016 is "Work!" You’ll never find the phrase, “I just quit my day job” in the Bible.  Much to the chagrin of mankind, work is a critical ingredient in God's long-range plan for every human being.  Take the journey with us as we explore the world of work.  Our verse this year is: Ecclesiastes 5:19 "Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil—this is a gift of God." NIV

WRITER QUESTION: As I am endeavoring to study into and consider the verse and theme for Write of Passage Screenwriting Competition, I am continually struck by the fact that many new testament followers of Jesus, DID in fact "quit their day job." Matching this with the fact that Ecclesiastes is really viewed as "man's wisdom" is setting up for a pretty interesting ride.

Right off the bat, I feel that we are addressing "work" from a carnal standpoint. That said, I'm looking forward to writing, but more so in having a discussion about this topic in the someday future. There. Now that I've said that, in good conscience I will go back to my study.

Mostly, I just want to challenge myself and other Christians to think about why we are viewing things a certain way. Therein lies the beauty of this competition, so thank you! Have a great day at work...or rest, wherever you find yourself ;). Sincerely, Ellen

MY ANSWER:

Part of the tagline/teaser zeitgeist is provocation, hopefully to get people to think or laugh or identify. For me the description of the theme is frequently ironic and often appeals to and/or makes fun of us flawed humans.  As you read the description of this year's theme "Work," the fact is God wants us to work! And that is the issue.  Will we do work or will we take the easy way as we are prone to do.

When I go to bed at night, have I done everything to my satisfaction? This is an easy standard to accomplish for many of us and it is a moving target.  What about "Have I done everything to His satisfaction?" That's conviction. Wrestle well.

John

Sorry, Write of Passage is closed for this year.
https://www.168film.com/WriteOfPassage

No comments: